GEORGE G. JOHNSON, CPA
George Johnson began his career as a Certified Public Accountant in 1966 with Touche Ross (now Deloitte), where he advanced to manager. In 1971, George founded his own firm by acquiring a practice formed through the merger of several local firms, the oldest of which was established in 1942.
George is actively involved in the community and serves on the boards of several organizations, including:
- TCF Financial Corporation – Board member; Audit Committee
- American Alliance of Museums – Board member; Finance Committee
- Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan – Board of Trustees member; Audit Committee
- Detroit Institute of Arts – former Board member; Executive and Audit Committees
- Detroit Regional Chamber – ex-officio Board member; served three-years as Treasurer
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra – former Board member
- Detroit Zoological Society – Board member; Finance and Audit Committees
- Wayne State University – Chairperson, Richard H. Austin Scholarship Fund
- Detroit Economic Club – member, Scholarship Advisory Committee
- Black United Fund of Michigan, Inc. – member, Advisory Board
- Forgotten Harvest – member, Advisory Board
He has been the recipient of several honors, including: the 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Association of Black Accountants; the Silver Beaver Award from the Detroit Area Council, Boy Scouts of America; the 2007 Michigan Executive of the Year Award from Wayne State University; and an earlier WSU Black Alumni Achievement Award.
George is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants, the Illinois CPA Society, and the National Association of Black Accountants. He is also a member of the Detroit Athletic Club.
A resident of Detroit, George received his B.S. in Accounting and Finance from Wayne State University, where he also pursued graduate courses in Business Management. George is licensed as a CPA in the States of Michigan and Illinois.